Paediatric and Adult Causes of Encephalitis and Meningitis Study (PACEM)
[Currently the only participating center in this study is the AMC]
- If a patient is eligible for inclusion, inform the patient and/or parents and ask for informed consent.
- Call or e-mail us to enrol the patient in the study.
- We will send you the patient’s study number and the log-in name and password to fill out the online Case Record Form.
- Collect blood (EDTA and serum), faeces or rectum swab and a throat-swab and/or nasopharyngeal aspirate from the patient within 7 days of admission. In children and persons, blood samples will only be collected when combined with regular blood collections. Send all samples through the medical microbiology (OLVG) or trough the clinical chemistry department (Flevo ziekenhuis) - with the completed virology forms to the clinical virology in the AMC.
NB Please write the study number and date of birth on the patient material.
- If the patient is enrolled in the study, we will collect the leftover cerebrospinal fluid and send it to the reference laboratory.
- Fill out the Case Record Form via this website [LINK].
- Please send the informed consent , the discharge letter and CD-ROM with cranial CT/MRI during admission to the AMC.
Patients of all ages (including premature born infants) in whom a lumbar puncture is performed to diagnose or exclude meningitis or encephalitis.
- Neurosurgical operation in the 3 months previous to current illness
- Presence of cerebrospinal fluid catheter
Inclusion statistics PACEM: